Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How to Kill a Pineapple

I love fresh pineapple. I often forget that, but when I remember… Oh my God.  Anyway, normal people would prefer to call it slicing or cutting a pineapple.  Or perhaps even “preparing” a pineapple.  But that’s boring.  I’ve heard amazing things about the quality of fresh fruit in Korea but haven’t really had much experience with it.  This pineapple was perfect.  

Here, in photographic evidence, is my first experience in killing a pineapple.

 

First, you need a pineapple.  I chose a mini pineapple.  He’s Amy-sized.

HPIM0640

(The Korean actually reads “Mi-ni PIn-A Ple” hehe)

 

My dad told me a pineapple is ready when you can easily pull the leaves out of the top. That seems like an easy guide.

HPIM0645

 

Once you’ve decided that it’s ripe, you have to give it a hair cut.  The woman at the store actually offered to do this for me…which I thought was strange.

HPIM0646

At this point I considered cutting off the skin.  I’m glad I didn’t.

 

Then you need this handy-dandy pineapple tool my dad sent me.

HPIM0644

 

Place it firmly on top, and twist! (This is a two person job! You need four hands for this.)

HPIM0647

 

Twist all the way down, and pull back out.

HPIM0651

 

Fancy, huh?

HPIM0650

 

And now you have perfect little pineapple rings.

HPIM0653

 

Wiener dogs like pineapple too…

HPIM0654

 

I love him.

HPIM0659

 

After you’ve eaten all the pineapple (Yum!)…

HPIM0660

 

You make breakfast!

HPIM0662

Chocolate chip pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon and orange juice.

Didn’t expect that from me, did you?

8 comments:

  1. Fresh pineapple is yummy. And that's a fun little tool. i didn't know those existed! And the breakfast looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that? I must get one of those pineapple gizmos. The wiener dog isn't spoiled is he? Does he like pina coladas too, Amy? Keep having fun! ✌
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if he likes piña coladas.... does he also like walks in the rain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. not sure about the pina coladas...but he hates the rain! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Charlotte...with his big brown eyes, how could I not spoil him? He's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, did not expect that breakfast...looks good! I need to find that gizmo.....pretty amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete