Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween, in pictures

Part of this whole Korea idea is to get myself out doing things that I wouldn’t normally do.  Halloween is one of those things.  I love the holiday in concept but I am not the dressing up and going out kind of girl.  I much prefer to help get the kids in costume, then play with trick-or-treaters and eat candy all night. 

I should preface this and say that Halloween doesn't really exist here.  There are a few bars that celebrate it to appease the foreigner population but there isn’t  a lot of public support for the holiday.  Because of that, piecing together a costume was difficult considering the limited amount of personal belongings I was able to bring with me to Korea.  My costume wasn’t really a costume per say, but I was Fabulous. One of my favorite dresses, sparkly shoes, fake eye lashes and enough accessories to challenge a Goodwill donation box.  That is incredibly far from my normal self so by definition it was a costume. 

Halloween is about celebrating the chance to step outside of yourself and do things you wouldn’t normally do. It’s about playing dress up like you did as a child and getting to be your favorite celebrity, superhero, cartoon character, or your own alter ego for one night. But that’s what this whole year in Korea is for me.  The chance to step outside my comfort zone and explore new things- to reinvent and to start over.

I had a fantastic night by the way.  I love it here.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, isn't that your "H" dress???

    Glad you are having a great time, and loved the story about the 8 Tom's. They don't know it yet, but they have endeared themsleves to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy, Your Uncle Brent's sister, Charlotte, here... love the blog. Are you homesick yet? I teach third grade and have been teaching for 30 years. Very interested in what you are doing and look forward to reading more of your adventures! Especially liked the post about the Tale of the Toms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Charlotte! Thank you so much, I am so glad you enjoy it. I'm not homesick yet, but it's only been two weeks. I'm sure I will start craving American things very soon but so far so good!

    ReplyDelete